Friday, January 18, 2008
Free Entertainment
I was recently asked if I knew anything free or cheap to do with little ones. We've invested in memberships to the DIA and Detroit Zoo and I feel it's money well spent. I know, however, that coming up with the initial membership fee can be a struggle sometimes. I suggested checking out the library for story hours and have been keeping my eyes open for additional ideas. Here are a couple that I stumbled upon over the past week.

Story Hour: Pottery Barn Kids at The Somerset Collection in Troy, MI has a weekly story hour on Tuesdays from 10 - 10:30 AM. Kids receive a membership punch card the first time they attend and after 5 punches get a free gift. The next Sing-Along concert series starts Spring 2008

African Footprint Performance: Cast members will perform a dance and drumming demostration at Borders in Dearborn, MI. Check out their website (and your local Borders) for additional family-friendly events!

Story Hour: Barnes & Noble in Troy, MI offers at reoccuring story hour on Saturdays at 11:00 AM. You can meet Clifford the Big Red Dog on January 26, 2008. Check out their website (and your local Barnes & Noble) for more family-friendly events!

Story Hour and more: Oakland Mall in Troy, MI has story hour at their Borders location every Wednesday at 11:00 AM. They also have a club just for kids 10 and under called Giggle Gang. Kids get special gifts and discounts at mall stores. Mom and dad aren't forgotten either! They can sign up for Solid Gold Perks for their own offers and discounts.

Museum Passes: The Royal Oak Public Library in Royal Oak, MI is letting you check out a museum. Library card holders can visit the library and check out a pass to one of many, many local museums. Each pass is good for up to 4 free admissions. Check out the link for details because this is one awesome program!

I hope these suggestions help you fight off winter boredom for a while. I'll add more as I find them!

Labels: , ,

posted by Michelle at Bargains 4 Detroit & Beyond @ 7:09 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At January 20, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Blogger kate p. said…

    I know you briefly touched on the libraries... just wanted to add that if you have to choose between a bookstore and a library, pick the library. Their staff are professionals in children's literature, literacy and child development, and are much more qualified to be doing story hours/craft times, etc with children. 99% of the time, the yahoo doing programming at a bookstore or non-library setting is just some minimum wage hack that is just gonna sit and read random books, etc.

    Yes yes, I'm biased (: Not all non-library story hours are bad, but there IS a difference.

    Also: Don't forget your neighboring libraries. Often they'll let non-residents come to their programs (residents probably get first priority for sign up, etc). When I was doing programming, I got families from all over the metro area, not just from Warren.

     
  • At January 20, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Blogger kate p. said…

    ps: The Museum Passes are available at nearly all of the public libraries in Wayne, Oakland, Macomb & Washtenaw Counties. I was bummed that we couldn't get them in Lapeer!

     
  • At January 23, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Blogger Michelle at Bargains 4 Detroit & Beyond said…

    Most of that stuff I found while I was out and about and the rest of it I found while getting the links. As soon as I get a chance I'm planning on doing some library research so I can post some upcoming events.

    That's awesome about the museum passes! I stumbled upon the ROPL's announcement, but didn't know it was so widespread. I should see if I can find my Hazel Park library card and get a pass for myself.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 



Links

Contact Me

Discover your baby with Sign Language

Local Resources

Events

Detroit Parenting

Michigan Blogroll

Attractions

Library Links

Free Admission Programs

Resident Resources

Savvy Shopping

What you should know

Coupon sites

Freebie Sites


For Fun

Free Clubs


Activities


www.theCrayolaStore.com
 
Subscribe to Bargains 4 Metro Detroit (and beyond) by Email
About Me

Name: Michelle at Bargains 4 Detroit & Beyond
Home: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States
About Me: I'm a first time mom and a life long bargain shopper. I live for the thrill of the clearance rack, I get giddy at the thought of multiple discounts, I love to watch my total go down as my coupons are added up! I cover a little bit of everything for the family from events and attractions to groceries and toys. I'm always looking out for ways to entertain, feed and clothe my family without breaking the bank.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Freebies

Get more free samples

Tags
Other Things




And More For You

Custom Search
Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER